12th February 2020
09.00 to 17.00 at The Tower Hotel, London.
The Seminar will provide an update for all relocation professionals at every level to changes in legislation affecting the lettings sector, landlords and subsequently their tenants which have been numerous over the last few years. The Seminar aims to take delegates through the full spectrum of the cycle when renting a property from the offer and completion; issues that arise in negotiating and drafting tenancy agreements; repair, maintenance and legal issues arising during the Tenancy; and negotiation of deductions from a deposit and other procedures required at the end of the Tenancy to enable a satisfactory result and closure of the file.
The Seminar will cover the following:
- Administration prior to the commencement of the Tenancy including offers, charges being made to a tenant legally including the Tenant Fees Act 2019; and check in;
- Pointers negotiating the Tenancy Agreement in particular ensuring adequate safeguards against extensive repair work, or building affecting the assignee’s enjoyment of the property;
- Deposit protection; drafting of the deposit clause to ensure reasonable deductions; stakeholder v agent;
- Repairs and maintenance including the statutory duties of the landlord; the effect of the Housing Act 2004 and the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (“HHSRS”); the Deregulation Act 2015; the Housing and Planning Act 2016; and the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018;
- Advice for the assignee regarding conducting the Tenancy if no corporate back-up; or serious lack of repair and maintenance;
- Break clauses, business release clauses and ending the Tenancy;
- Assessing damage and costs involved; assessing effect of a family home and lengthy tenancies; and negotiation of deductions from the deposit;
- Conduct if a dispute arises including adjudication, Small Claims Track of the County Court; arbitration and mediation;
- Betterment and sale of the property without damage rectification;
- Preparation of cases and when to seek legal help;
- Making a complaint.
The Seminar will highlight new legislation and the impact on both landlords and tenants. Delegates are encouraged to bring practical problems to the Seminar which will be considered provided time allows and a precis is given of the problem.
Please note that there will be no webinar, this is a face to face event only.